Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Assignment #2

Wow! Can't believe it but here I am moving right along to Assignment #2. It's all about "Breaking Rule #1". (Oops, sorry -- guess that's the rebel in me). Maybe I should say it's all about "Using the Background to Give Feeling to Your Pics". I'll give you the short version of the rule taken from Mrs. N's blog, but you should really go to Renaissance - Foto Friday and check out the whole assignment. It could help YOU take better pictures for YOUR blog, too.



"THIS week we have a variation on a theme...still I'd like to talk about backgorunds, but THIS week, I'm going to talk to you about BREAKING the distracting background rule.SOMETIMES, the background is important! Backgrounds lend feelings to a photograph. If you want to feel serene and calm, nothing will get you there faster than to gaze at a photo of winding road fading in the fog hovering over a wheatfield. If you want to feel intensity or hustle-bustle, nothing will get you there faster than a photo taken on the bustling streets of Vegas or NYC. Sometimes serene is what we are looking to portray and sometimes, it BUSTLE.In other instances, the background BECOMES the subject."



So here goes. . .



PHOTO #1 (Uncropped) 6
I'm going for that "Quiet Country-Life Feeling"


PHOTO #2 (Uncropped) 6
When we go to town, things are a little more "hustle, bustle" . . . Hey! Get Out of My Way!!!


Okay, now... Mrs. N, if I were to take these pics. again, what would be a few pointers?

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Hey you're back! Glad to have you posting again!

Rachel

Rebecca said...

Photo One:

I LOVE it.

That is just perfect. WHY? Because it speaks about the huge task that is before him. The leaves and ground are the subject. I wouldn't change a thing other than add some contrast with Picasa. (Do you use Picasa?)

The second photo is not as effective as the first and I think it is for this reason...it doesn't really convey anything...the traffic isn't busy so it can't "say" anything about hustling and the car doesn't even appear to be moving because it is traveling at the same speed as your own car thus it is a flat, moveless object. Also, I don't think there is enough foreground (what is in front) for the view to actually be a background. YOu know what I mean? What I would do if I were to take this picture again is

1) Try shooting from the SIDE door window. If you include the door frame or the inside of a car (or a person IN the car) and they hold still and take a picture while a car is PASSING you---the car will be blurred and that will be GOOD because that will effectively show movement---and it will SAY something.

OR

2) If taking a photo out the front window, like you did, include a subject in the rearview mirror. The driver or even yourself. That will be an effective foreground and then the car view will be a background.

It was a good idea and I would really like to see you try to recreate the shot using one of my suggestions and see if you can tell the difference. You can always post the photo later and just say Assignment #2: Take Two or something like that.