Friday, November 26, 2010

BEHIND THE SCENES

About two months ago I made a green baby-doll top by myself. (Well sort of. . . I had some help from my mom when I was cutting it out and a little bit on the how to put casing (I think that is what it is called) on the the sleeves for the elastic.

We got so far and it seemed to be taking forever. Now I must tell you, I am not a very patient person when it comes to making things for myself. If mom is making me something, then I have no problem waiting, though she can sew a lot faster (and better) then I can.

So one Saturday when I was cleaning my room, I stumbled upon my long lost sewing box. I remembered Mom going on about how fashion designers (that is what I would like to do when I'm older) have to know the construction of a garment, before they can design anything.

So needless to say, I got it in my head that I was going to finish that shirt without any ones help. So I got my sister's sewing machine, opened up my sewing box, laid out the material, and finally brought out the pattern envelope. I reached into that innocent looking envelope and pulled out my worst nightmare.

I salute anyone who can read (and understand) store pattern instructions. I swear that people would be more willing to sew if only they could understand the directions.

I will admit I was tempted, quite a few times, to just give up on trying to sew the shirt by myself, and go ask mom for some inside knowledge on what half of it meant. But along with being inpatient I am also stubborn, and I was not about to be defeated by a piece of paper, no matter how confusing that piece of paper was.

So after sewing the sleeves on wrong a total of three times, putting the hem on the outside of the shirt, and shortening the elastic in the sleeves and collar twice, along with other little things like Hmm...measuring around the shirt so I could put the band around the bottom of the bust because even though the picture showed the band, the people who put together the pattern decided not to put that "little bit" in the directions that told you how and where to put it, I got it finish and here is the end result.





Even though the directions were hard to read and it took all day to do, the look and praise from Mom, made it all worth while.

No comments: